Monday, December 6, 2010

Mary Christmas

Mary had to not only become pregnant with the Messiah, but must have been pregnant with many questions. She must have had so many thoughts and feelings as she took upon one of the greatest miracles ever. Dealing with the fact that she, out of all women on the earth, was highly favored by God and was the chosen one to carry salvation within her, yet face her people, friends and family with information that in the natural would never be comprehendible.

As my mind contemplated Mary this morning, I couldn’t help but be quickened to the thought that we are all impregnated with a miracle within us. There are stirrings in us that can only be accomplished in a supernatural way. There are stirrings in me- dreams, visions- that seem like impossible walls to scale, and like Mary are met with immediate fear and questions. The Angel put all fear away with a quick retort to not fear. It seems as if it were a command. Why should there be no fear, because there is favor. Favor is what allows the birth of dreams, a birth of royal things that take the throne and rule the kingdom. Something that seemed so insignificant as pregnancy became the equivalent of universal freedom for all people.

“I’m the Lord’s servant…may it be!” Trust fills those words. Mary came into the acknowledgment that humanly this was an impossible situation, but as the angel told her, nothing is impossible with God. A woman who was filled with humility became the key to revolutionize this world. A woman who stepped out in courageous faith birthed an unshakeable kingdom.

Sometimes you have to say and declare things before they happen. I wonder if Mary in faith said, “May it be” before she really believed it could be, and the evidential truth followed her faith. Or perhaps in that moment something rose up in her that she stood with unwavering strength in her protected favor. All in all, as we know the Lord has impregnated us with dreams we can easily hear the everyday world seems to laugh at us in its impossibility. But impossibility isn’t possible with God.

May it be.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Larry! Love reading your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, to be "highly favored" by God, like Mary.

    Especially like "but impossibility isn't possible with God."

    ReplyDelete
  3. And once we give birth to that dream/vision, are we willing to give it back to the Lord? I know when I have sought out those dreams I have been tempted to hold on so tightly to them that I don't give God any room to bring it to completion. I can easily become so consumed with it that I inadvertently begin worshipping the miracle then the One who gave it. Now that I'm a mom, I know how tightly I can hang on to my little one, but the truth is, the Lord gave her to me and she belongs to Him. As the mother of the Savior of the world, I wonder how many times did Mary have to remind herself that although she was chosen and she was obedient, what she birthed was not her own. Thank God that she trusted her heavenly Father and harnessed her "maternal instincts" as to not get in the way of God's plan for her life, for her Son and for all mankind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa...so true. That is an aspect of all of this that I never even pondered. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete